Special Projects aim to cultivate exceptional talents among students, staff, and alumni while connecting to the local and international arts and design scene.
The proposed art or design projects must have substantial content and impact locally or globally. They should reflect and raise the Academy's profile as one that is deeply engaged with arts and design practice and innovation, local and global issues, cultures, and heritage.
The Special Projects Award (SPA) supports outstanding and passionate graduates and practitioners across the creative arts and design through special projects' collaborations. SPA seeks to promote deeper student-staff-alumni-industry engagement in innovative practices and research through collaborations.
What Do The Special Projects Awards Support?
SPA invites projects and activities from staff and alumni that respond to any of the following categories (included but not limited to):
Competitions and Showcase
- Respond to a local or internationally acclaimed competition; or
- Local or international arts or design festival/event open call for showcase or performance
Research and Innovation
- Create new knowledge through investigation and deep inquiry into creative practices and the creative arts landscape
- Address local or global problems, e.g. ageing population, sustainability, environmental issues
- Instigate innovation and generate new insights
Community and Place-making
- Engage communities meaningfully through arts and design
- Promote inclusivity and diversity
- Bring communities together and enrich the greater NAFA community
The award is capped at $25,000 per project, covering the professional fees for personnel involved and material costs associated with the project. Proposals can be approved with full or partial funding depending on the scale and complexity of the project. Up to 3 projects will be awarded in a year.
Application is open all year round.
Staff, alumni and nominated students. Individual artists/designers or a collective of up to four artists may apply. The Primary Applicant will have to undertake responsibility on behalf of the collective.
Download the application guidelines here
Download the application form here
Download the budget form here